Kinect Sensors Support
iPi Recorder supports Kinect 2 and Kinect sensors. Kinect 2 for Windows and Kinect for Xbox One is the same sensor. Kinect 2 has higher resolution compared to first generation Kinect sensor.
Only single Kinect 2 sensor can be connected to one PC due to limitation in Microsoft Kinect SDK 2. Each Kinect 2 sensor can be connected to a separate computer, Distributed Recording
feature must be used.
Kinect Sensros Comparison
| Kinect 2 for Windows / Kinect for Xbox One
- Higher resolution of depth and RGB video
- Lower noise, better quality of point cloud
- Higher overall tracking quality can be expected
- Much better feet tracking
- Low mutual sensors interference
- More tolerant to lighting conditions
- Requires USB 3.0 controller
- Only single sensor on one PC is supported by Microsoft Kinect SDK 2
- Works only on Windows 8 / 8.1
| Kinect for Windows
- Ensures tracking quality comparable with Kinect 2, but hardware requirements are not so strong
- Requires USB 2.0 controller
- Works on Windows 7, 8, 8.1
- Lower resolution
- Less tolerant to lighting conditions
- Higher mutual interference of sensors leads to more noise in case of using several sensors
Other Depth Sensors
Other depth sensors supported:
If needed you can find more information about these sensors in documentation for previous version of iPi Motion Capture.
To use the sensors, you may need to download and install device drivers and software libraries for ASUS Xtion / ASUS Xtion Live / PrimeSense Carmine.