Multiple Depth Sensors vs Web Cameras vs Action Cameras Comparison
There is no straightforward answer to the questions which is better — Multiple Depth Sensors or Multiple Web Cameras or Multiple Action Cameras configuration. The accuracy of tracking is almost the same. Pros and cons summary:
|Multiple Depth Sensors (2 to 4 depth sensors)||
| Web Cameras (3 to 16 cameras)
Sony PS3 Eye or Logitech C922
|Action Cameras (3 to 16 cameras)||
If you choose to go with depth sensors, see also the comparison of different models.
- Dual Depth Sensor configuration is very practical, it is easier to use and able to track many kinds of motions. We can recommend it if:
- Your room is not very big (less than 20 x 20 feet = 6 x 6 meters)
- You do not need to track fast complex motions like energetic dancing, acrobatics, etc.
- You do not need to track 2 actors
- Multiple Web Cameras (Sony PS3 Eye or Logitech C922) is more powerful option, but you have to invest more time in learning. We can recommend it if:
- 7 x 7 feet ( = 2 x 2 meters) capture area is not enough for your motions, and your room is bigger than 20 x 20 feet ( = 6 x 6 meters)
- You plan to track fast complex motions like energetic dancing, acrobatics, etc.
- You plan to track 2 actors
- Multiple Action Cameras configuration is almost similar to multiple web cameras configuration but involves more tricky workflow. We recommend it if:
- You already have required set of action cameras
- You want to be extremely mobile
- You're going to capture very fast motions at 90+ FPS