Kinect Sensors Support
iPi Recorder supports Kinect 2 and Kinect sensors. Kinect 2 for Windows and Kinect for Xbox One is the same sensor. Kinect 2 has higher resolution compared to first generation Kinect sensor.
Only single Kinect 2 sensor is supported due to limitation in Microsoft Kinect SDK 2. Using multiple Kinect 2 sensors will soon be possible with the help of distributed recording feature, which will allow to record the same session with several computers. In this case each Kinect 2 sensor can be connected to a separate computer.
Kinect Sensros Comparison
| Kinect 2 for Windows / Kinect for Xbox One
- Higher resolution of depth and RGB video
- Low mutual sensors interference
- More tolerant to lighting conditions
- Better tracking quality can be expected
(but the difference with first generation Kinect is not dramatic)
- Requires USB 3.0 controller
- Only single sensor on one PC is supported by Microsoft Kinect SDK 2
- Works only on Windows 8 / 8.1
| Kinect for Windows
- Ensures tracking quality comparable with Kinect 2, but hardware requirements are not so strong
- Requires USB 2.0 controller
- Works on Windows 8 / 7 / Vista SP2
- Lower resolution
- Less tolerant to lighting conditions
- Higher mutual interference of sensors leads to more noise in case of using several sensors
iPi Recorder also supports obsolete sensors, currently unavailable for purchase:
If needed you can find more information about these sensors in documentation for previous version of iPi Motion Capture.